Monday, April 5, 2010

Lemon Chicken Soup with Israeli Cous Cous



Although "Spring has Sprung," we had a bit of a cold spell this week and I was in the mood for soup! Wanting something a little lighter, I searched through my favorite recipe sources and came across a turkey lemon soup. I had leftover roast chicken, so I adapted it to what I had on hand, and added some Israeli Cous Cous. The result was terrific!

I wasn't sure how my 2 year old would like it, so I reserved a little chicken, veggies and cous cous and made him a separate plate. To my surprise he asked where his soup was? I quickly made him his own bowl, and he slurped it right up. Lesson learned. Don't underestimate the palate of a two year old.

This soup was a hit with the whole family. And it's quick to make and very healthy. Served with some warm crusty bread, you've got the perfect meal.

Lemon Chicken Soup with Israeli Cous Cous
Inspired by Bon Appetit Magazine, via epicurious.com
Serves 4-6

* 1 1/3 cup Israeli Cous Cous, prepared as directed
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large shallot, finely chopped
* 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 3 celery stalks, chopped
* 2 carrots, diced
* 8 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
* 2 cups diced cooked chicken
* fresh juice of 1 lemon
* 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
* 1/2 10-ounce package ready-to-use spinach leaves

Directions:

In a medium sauce pan, prepare cous cous and directed. When complete, set a aside.

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and stir 1 minute. Add celery and carrots and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Add 8 cups broth and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer to blend flavors, about 20 minutes.

Add chicken, lemon juice, lemon zest and cous cous into soup. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add spinach. Simmer until spinach wilts but is still bright green, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Allison,

    I made this soup last week. Very yummy! It kept better than I thought for lunch two days later also but the spinach was not quite as pretty. My son even took 5 bites which is quite a big deal - he is a bit picky!

    ReplyDelete