Friday, April 23, 2010

Greek Turkey Burgers with Garlic Feta Sauce



I'll be honest, when it comes to burgers, I'm a ground beef kinda gal. I cook with ground turkey quite often, but when it comes to burgers, I just prefer beef. But in my effort to be healthier and try new recipes, I've recently made several new turkey burger recipes. Some were just okay, and some were down right awful, but this week we had one that was truly blog-worthy.

I adapted a "Greek Burger" recipe from Rachael Ray, that originally called for ground lamb. I know ground lamb would make the burgers much more Greek, but I was afraid the meat might be to strong for my little one. Turkey was the perfect substitute.

The burgers were easy to prepare, full of flavor, and extra fun for my two year old because it was wrapped in a pita instead of a bun. I'm not sure why anything out of the ordinary makes dinner more fun, but hey, I'm not complaining :) I also highly recommend making the accompanying yogurt sauce, which I tweaked slightly by adding feta. All in all, the whole family loved these burgers, and I have a turkey burger recipe I will definitely be making again!

Note: The picture above, shows the burgers with a Greek salad - it was the perfect side dish!

Greek Turkey Burgers with Garlic Feta Sauce
Adapted from Rachael Ray, via foodnetwork.com Serves 4

* 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
* 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled
* 1 teaspoons allspice
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* A handful plain breadcrumbs
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

* 1 cup Greek yogurt
* 1 large clove garlic, peeled
* 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
* 2 tablespoons mint leaves, finely chopped

* 4 large soft pitas
* sliced tomato, red onion and lettuce for garnish

Directions:

Put the turkey in bowl. Using a box grater, grate the onion over the bowl so that the pulp of the onion and juices fall into the meat. Add the spices, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, to taste, and mix to combine. Form the meat mixture into 4 patties, thinner at the middle and thicker at the edges for even cooking.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with oil, or coat the burgers in oil and grill on outdoor grill. Cook the patties about 10 minutes, turning once.

While the patties cook, add the yogurt to a small bowl. Grate the garlic into the yogurt using a fine grater or zester. Add the mint and feta and stir to combine.

Eat the burgers in or on the pita bread topped with yogurt sauce, sliced tomato, red onion, and lettuce.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment