Friday, April 2, 2010

Simple Spring Chicken - Lemon, Garlic & Herb Roast Chicken


I love roast chicken. Whether you dress it up for a festive meal or want something simple and delicious for a busy week night, you can not go wrong with this dish. Better yet, whole frying chickens are cheap! And every few weeks they go on sale, making them even cheaper (I bought mine this week for .79 a pound!). Plus, I always get two meals out of one chicken. The leftovers are great for sandwiches, enchiladas, soups ... I'm sure I'll have another recipe to follow :)

The key to my version of roast chicken is the seasonings. I've never actually measured how much seasoning I use, so let me start by admitting the measurements I'm listing in this recipe are guesstimates. If in doubt, I say, use more. I season the heck out of my chickens (on both sides) and they always come out flavorful and juicy.

This recipe is the epitome of simple. There's no tying, trussing or turning. Just season and roast! How can you go wrong with a meal that is simple, delicious, nutritious and economical?

Lemon, Garlic & Herb Roast Chicken
Serves 4 or more

* 1 large whole fryer chicken (4-5 lbs.)
* Juice of 1/2 lemon
* Zest of 1/2 lemon
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
* fresh cracked pepper to taste
* kosher salt to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375

Remove giblets and clean chicken. Pat dry with a paper towel.

In a large roasting pan, place chicken, breast side down. Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken and season with half of all seasonings. Turn chicken breast side up. Squeeze lemon juice over chicken and season with remaining seasonings. Be sure to generously season all parts of the chicken, including legs and wings.

Roast in the oven (breast side up) for 60-75 minutes, until juices run clear.

Let rest 15-20 minutes, carve, and serve.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment