Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Green Monster Smoothies



We interrupt our regularly scheduled blog post for this breaking news: My son had three helpings of spinach for breakfast! That's right, spinach!

Lately, I've run across several recipes for "Green Monster Smoothies". I never book marked any of the recipes, but I had the basic idea down. Find your favorite frozen yellow colored fruit, add in some yogurt (I used Greek yogurt for extra protein) and toss in some spinach.

Both my boys love smoothies, but I usually stick to the basic berry and yogurt combination. But being that green is my oldest son's FAVORITE color, how could he resist the Green Monster! Well knowing my little guy, if he knew there was spinach in it he might not drink it. So I asked my husband to distract the boys, while I got to concocting. When it was ready, my son's smile was priceless! Three helpings later he finally asked how I got it so green, I simply answered, mommy's secret monster ingredient :)

Green Monster Smoothie

1 cup frozen mango
1 cup frozen pineapple
1 banana, sliced
2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
3/4 cup orange juice, almond milk or soy milk (I actually used a banana, orange, pineapple juice)

Put all ingredients into a blender, and blend on high or the liquefy speed, until all of the ingredients are blended together smoothly, and the spinach is no longer visible. You may need to add a little more liquid or yogurt to get the consistency you want. Pour into glasses and enjoy!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment