Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Tale of Two Sangrias













So, I know the whole the point to my blog is to inspire both myself and others to get creative in the kitchen, so we can make wonderful meals for our adoring families. And don't get me wrong, that is the point to this blog, but sometimes this mama just needs a cocktail! And some weeks this mama needs two different versions of a cocktail! Okay, now I am starting to sound like I have a problem, but in reality we just had a very busy weekend filled with fun, friends, and sangria!

You see, it all started earlier last week. I found the prefect Sangria recipe to serve for two different get togethers. Off to Trader Joe's I went with my list of ingredients. When the nice wine guy at the store asked if I needed some help, I asked if he could recommend a good rose for my sangria recipe. He gasped and adamantly said he only makes Sangria one way. Always open to a good recommendation, I took down his recipe, and bought the ingredients.

The next day, my dear friend Stephanie came into town all the way from New York. We chatted and sipped sangria out on the patio. It was a perfectly lovely afternoon, and we both and agreed the recipe was a keeper. But part of me still wondered about my first recipe. So back to Trader Joe's I went, got the additional ingredients needed, and made the second sangria recipe for a BBQ we hosted over the weekend. And what do you know, it was another keeper! Long story short, both recipes were so good, I just had to post two! So take your pick or make both. Just be sure to serve it with good friends and prepare for a thoroughly good time.
***
Side note, please excuse the last minute photography ;)

Sangria Two Ways:

Sparkling Red Wine Sangria
Recipe courtesy of the Trader Joe's Wine Guy

1 cup strawberries, quartered and hulled
1 cup raspberries, whole
1 nectarine, sliced
1 orange sliced
1 cup triple sec
1 bottle sparkling red wine
1 cup apple juice

Cut and slice the fruit and place in large bowl. Pour the triple sec over the fruit. Mix the fruit well, pressing it down in the bowl so it is mostly covered by the alcohol. Soak for several hours, or even over night (I soaked mine overnight). When ready to serve, transfer the fruit and triple sec to a serving pitcher. Add the sparkling red wine and apple juice. Serve over ice and garnish with desired fruit.


Sangria with Rose Wine
Adapted from The Cilantropist

1 orange, sliced
2 nectarines, sliced
1 apple, sliced and quartered (I used a pink lady apple)
1 cup strawberries, quartered and hulled
1 cup raspberries, whole
1 cup pineapple, chopped (I used frozen)
3/4 cup triple sec
1/4 cup citrus vodka (I used Absolut Mandarin)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups ginger ale

Cut and slice all of the fruit. Place all the fruit in a large bowl, and add the sugar, triple sec, and vodka. Mix the fruit well, pressing it down in the bowl so it is mostly covered by the sugar/alcohol mixture. Soak the fruit, mixing occasionally, for at least 1 hour, but I prefer to soak mine for several hours or even over night. When ready to serve, transfer the fruit and triple sec to a serving pitcher. Add the rose wine and ginger ale. Serve over ice and garnish with desired fruit.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment