Friday, July 29, 2011

Simple Spice is Back! Let's Start Simple ...



I am embarrassed to even admit this, but it has been a more than a year since I last posted. To be fair, we did undergo a major home renovation at the end of last summer, and I guess I just got out of the habit of blogging. It's not like we haven't been cooking. In fact, I have been cooking up a storm in our beautiful new kitchen. I think I just put too much pressure on myself to have a perfect plate put together before I grab my camera and photograph it. So let's get one thing out there, moving forward, some days I may have a great shot of my latest creation and other days I may just grab the iPhone and take a quick shot before my ravenous family digs into our meal. I really do miss my blog, and I hope you will reconnect with me as I share what's been cooking :)

To start things off, I wanted to share this amazingly simple appetizer I threw together for my bunco group last month. It's perfect for summer entertaining because it requires absolutely no cooking and uses some of the best ingredients summer has to offer in southern California, fresh strawberries and basil!

Summer Strawberry Bruchetta
Adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:

1 cup strawberries,diced

1 tbsp. sugar

1 french baguette sliced on a bias

4 oz. goat cheese 

¼ cup minced basil leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar

Directions:


Combine the strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; toss to combine. Let the berries macerate for about 30 minutes so that they begin to release their juices. Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on top of each baguette slice. Top each slice with spoonfuls of the strawberry mixture. Top each slice with the basil leaves. Just before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and top with pepper.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment